Sunday, April 10, 2005

Bad business...

Ok... so today is Sunday and you would think that it would be one of the most relaxing days of the week. But no, not for me! To top off a somewhat iffy weekend,I have been faced with a HUGE issue. First lets begin with Friday. No... how about Thursday.

Ok so for the past few weeks I have been keeping track of Faculty and staff cap and gown order forms for commencement (part of my job). We attached order forms to the last TWO paychecks and expected faculty to return them to the mailbox indicated on the sheet. OK fine. Done deal. I get the responses and begin to keep them in an excel sheet to keep track. About twice a week my boss asks me " How are we doing with the Faculty order forms?" my answer... " Everything is fine. When i get them I add them and keep the forms in a folder" her response " Ok good! Wonderful!" She would even smile at me and say "You are doing good kid!" Which is great. Everyone wants to hear that their boss is pleased with their work.

Fast forward to this past Thursday. My boss tells me that she wants to wrap up the list so that she can put the order in. Ok fine. So I stay late on thursday to make sure that everyone who's paper I have has been entered onto my excel spreadsheet, and HIGHLIGHTED. Those that did not respond were NOT highlighted. I dont leave until after 7 and DELIVER THE DAMN SPREADSHEET TO MY BOSS'S HOUSE!!!!!! UNAPPRECIATED DEDICATION!!! Friday morning I come in and my boss calls. Here's how the convo goes:

Me: Good morning, Omotola speaking.
Karen: Good morning Tola.
Me: Hi karen... how was the list? Was it ok?
Karen: It was wonderful. Thank you!

OK.. so that was the initial convo. At 3 p.m. she calls back frantic.

Me: Good AFTERNOON, Omotola speaking.
Karen: Hi Tola. Its Karen, Question for you. Are the people who's names are highlighted the ones that replied?
Me: Yes they are. And those that did not respond are not highlighted.
Karen: Ok this is not good. This is very bad. So only 120 out 250+ faculty members responded?
Me: (thinking to myself: Im guessing she just looked at the sheets AFTER she said they were PERFECT at 9 am) Yes those are all of the responses that I got.
Karen: Well you were supposed to follow up with the faculty that did not respond and find out why they hadnt with an email and calls...
Me: (Oh HELL NO!!!) Was I? I was not aware of that. YOu never told me that I was calling these poeple and emailing them. You told me that I was keeping TRACK of the responses and you would handle those that did not respond! (and I swear its the truth)
Karen: Well... I am not giving up another weekend. This is not good at all. I cant give up another weekend to do this.
Me: Ok do you want me to email those that did not respond?
Karen: No! Its Friday. And most of them do not know you anyway so chances they wont respond.
Me: (If you know that they would not respond to an email from me, why did you just say that I was supposed to follow up with them with an email?) OK... Do you want me to call those that did not respond?
Karen: Yes!!! Thats it! I want you to call EVERYONE that did not respond and tell them that I need their information by Monday 10 a.m.
Me: (Bitch! Are you serious) Ok will do.


By this time I am STEAMING! I was so upset. This was NOT the first time the ball was about to be dropped on an event and I was going to take the blame for it. The first time I was able to clear my name because of my emails! What the hell? What do I do now? Tape every damn convo that my boss and I have??? This is crazy. They didnt hire me to be the damn Event Coordinator, they hired me to be the f***ing scape goat! Needless to say, good ol' Marlena walks in and I explain what happened to her. She then says " Yeah... I dont remember Karen telling you to make calls and emails. Maybe she was thinking it" I should have known better then to tell this **$%$ anything. I walk out of the office to cool off and do some things. i come back and Marlena is on the phone with Karen running her damn mouth. I could tell that my presence changed the tone of the convo, because when I returned all you heard was " Uh huh... yes I know" from Marlena. Mind you, Marlena is NOT an uh huh, yes I know person. She runs her mouth like water from a broken faucet! So again, im annoyed. She gets off the phone and starts by saying

Marlena: "I dont think Karen is mad but she is upset that this happened. I dont think you understand the importance of this. We needs to know exact numbers for blah blah blah... "

I tuned her out.

Me: Marlena, I UNDERSTAND the importance of tracking and knowing exact figures. That is not why I am upset. I am upset because I am about to take the blame for something that I was not aware of. How was I to know that i was supposed to be following up with the faculty that did not respond if i was never told too? How was I supposed to know TO even ASK about these things IF I DIDNT KNOW THEY HAD TO BE DONE. It is very hard being new to a job, trying to make sure you do EVERYTHING the right way, and make sure you are doing what is asked, and then with situations like this, you have to worry about someone else dropping the ball and you getting blamed.


I had a lot to say!!!!!!! To make this rather LONGGG story short, the black scape goat was pissed! Actually, that is not even the end of it. I have been getting major headaches from light and I guess looking at the computer too much. Karen claims to be an advocate for good health and has been pressing me to make doctors appointments to go get my eyes checked. I sent her an email on friday tellng her that i made an appoint for Tuesday to get them done. She emails me back and says " I would appreciate it if you re-scheduled. Please confirm with me before making doctors appointments. " LOL OK... now she wants to act up. It wasnt an issue before. She is the one that insisted that I go to the doctor. Jeez... it never ends.

Here is the HUGE issue. I was asked to help with the publicity for BET's Up To Front event this Tuesday. There is a meeting tomorrow night after work that I will be attending. But if I am correct, Tuesdays event is an alll day event. All day meaning, 9 to whenever. I want to go to this event but because of Fridays turn of events, im skeptical about going. I honestly think that if thigs hadnt turned out the way that they did, I would be able to say that I went to my doctor's appointments (2) and go to the BET event. But now, Im stuck. Dont know what to do. HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

Lastly, my monthly assessment is coming up this week and I KNOW that this lil incident is going to have an affect on my review. Boy oh boy!



... and the scapegoat signs off...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home